Robust decision making: challenges and responsibilitiesFebruary 6, 2018
To provide an overview of the legal and governance framework which underpins the role of a councillor in local government.
- Newly elected councillors (ideal as part of an induction programme)
- Refresher know-how for returning councillors
- Councillors with a particular leadership role in the council
- The basics of how a local authority operates
- Local authority functions and powers
- The role of an elected councillor – decision making, scrutiny, ward representation, quasi-judicial roles
- Councillor decision making – collective and individual
- Key legal areas including freedom of information and data
- The risks and liabilities of being a councillor – danger areas to be aware of
- Modern challenges and opportunities including social media
- Top tips for effective operation as a councillor.
Informative and interesting as a new member
Addresses all the skills but particularly
- Local leadership
- Political understanding
- Scrutiny and challenge
- Regulating and monitoring
That councillors have a strong understanding of the legal and governance framework surrounding the role of an elected councillor and confidence in their remit and powers.
Discuss your training options today